MI Products Leverage Semtech’s LoRa Technology to Help Improve Public Safety
September 13, 2017 --
CAMARILLO, Calif., Sept. 13, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq:SMTC), a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms, announced that MI Products, a leading provider of home safety solutions, has selected Semtech’s LoRa® devices and wireless RF technology (LoRa Technology) to help improve public safety in its line of electronic smart door locks, MiLocks.
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/abf2772a-0a2e-4e3e-b8c8-7bd061704636
MiLocks, one of the first electronic door locks that is LoRa-enabled, can be integrated in a smart building or home to improve security without using a key and with LoRa Technology’s low-power capabilities, the battery can last up to three years. A person, via a mobile application, is able to unlock and lock the door from up to 30 feet away. The electronic door lock also provides additional identification with biological fingerprint technology.
“Our electronic door locks, integrated with Semtech’s LoRa Technology, allows people to better manage traffic in their building and homes,” said Mark Kane, Executive at MI Products. “As more smart cities are developed, our society needs innovative IoT solutions that can make our planet smarter and safer.”
“LoRa Technology’s capabilities – long-range, low-power – are ideal for smart home and smart city IoT applications,” said Mike Wong, Vice President of Marketing for Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group. “Semtech’s LoRa Technology provides a competitive advantage to vertical markets by reducing costs two ways: infrastructure investment and operating expenses.”
MiLocks is Amazon Alexa-enabled and will be available on Amazon.com® by October 15.
Key Features of LoRa Technology:
- Long Range: A single base station using LoRa Technology enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
- Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low-power and enables unprecedented battery lifetime of up to 20 years depending on the application.
- Geolocation: This feature enables tracking applications without GPS or additional power consumption.
- Low Cost: LoRa Technology reduces up front infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Open Standard: LoRaWAN, a Low-Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN) specification, ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
- Learn how LoRa enables IoT, visit Semtech’s LoRa site.
- Engage with the LoRa Community to access free training and an online industry catalog showcasing next-generation products you need for building your ideal IoT application.
- Contact Semtech’s support team for technical support or general product inquiries.
- Follow Semtech on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+.
About MI Products
MI Products provides a line of electronic door locks, MiLocks, including Bluetooth®, keypad and remote control. MiLocks offers a keypad feature which allows you to add a passcode as a form of entry, or a remote control key fob which unlocks your door from the press of a button up to 30 feet away. The W-Series locks and X-Series locks can also be operated via a smartphone. http://www.milocks.com/
About SemtechSemtech Corporation is a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms for high-end consumer, enterprise computing, communications, and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The Company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
Semtech, the Semtech logo, and LoRa are registered trademarks or service marks, and LoRaWAN is a trademark or service mark, of Semtech Corporation or its affiliates.
The photo is also available at Newscom, www.newscom.com, and via AP PhotoExpress.